Chr. Hansen’s new milk-free cultures for plant based alternatives bring the mild, fresh taste and smooth texture.
The market for fermented dairy alternatives has shown strong growth in recent years albeit from a small base.
Today the segment constitutes less than 1% of the fermented foods market but it has seen the highest growth rates within the category in 2015 and 2016 (source: Euromonitor). According to the survey we had lately commissioned:
- Dairy alternatives are seen as a supplement to the existing dairy-based products enabling more choice and dietary options
- The modern consumer values variation and more than half of the consumers asked have purchased a dairy alternative food or beverage
- among those, 77% want to see more options in the grocery store, indicating that dairy alternative products have a lot of room for growth
While health is a key consumer purchase driver, the dairy alternatives products still has to taste good. Chr. Hansen is renowned for its ability to develop cultures that can bring out the best in food and ensure the taste that is required by selective consumers.
Now we are launching a product range that is well-suited to tap into the opportunities this new market trend is offering. Two new YoFlex® (yogurt) cultures and two new Nu-trish® (probiotic) cultures. Two delicious dairy alternatives concepts have been developed to present the new culture portfolio to customers: SoyFresh, which leverages on all the good qualities from yogurt, without stabilizers, and CoCoFresh, a trendy indulgence product based on coconut milk with a high fat content.
North American Dairy Alternative Market Insights (August 2017)
This market study provides the latest consumer research on usage and attitudes toward dairy alternative yogurt-like products.
Key insights from the report:
- Nutrition and health are universal purchase motivators for dairy alternative products
- Labeling preferences differ by generation, but “probiotic” ranks highest across consumer bases
- Younger generations lead the trend toward dairy alternative products, but dairy alternative yogurt-like products have wide appeal across generations.