Starter cultures from Chr.Hansen for production of probiotic fermented milk
The gastrointestinal tract is home to 1-2 kg of bacteria with a microbial population of 1014(100,000 billion) and it is known that the gut microflora plays an important role in humans health. The microflora of the gut exists as a delicate balance of beneficial and potentially harmful organisms. Under certain conditions, such as stress, traveling and antibiotic treatment, the balance of this natural ecosystem can be disturbed. During these periods the number of beneficial bacteria may decline while the number of harmful bacteria may increase, which often results in stomach problems such as diarrhea or constipation. An unbalanced intestinal microflora can also affect other physiological functions, such as the immune system.
Scientific research on intestinal microflora as well as on probiotics has increased significantly in recent years. Clinical studies have shown that probiotics play an important role in various areas of health, with two main areas of research being gastrointestinal health and immune function. Currently, most probiotic organisms are bacteria belonging to the genera Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium.
There are a few key factors that need to be met by probiotics:
- First of all, probiotics need to be alive at the time of ingestion
- Secondly, they need to be ingested in a dosage high enough to cause a beneficial effect.
- Thirdly, the ingested live microorganisms need to pose a beneficial effect on the host in order to be a probiotic. It is important to note, that the beneficial effect of the various probiotics mainly is strain specific and cannot be regarded as general for different species of probiotics.
Probiotic cultures from Chr. Hansen contain at least one probiotic strain with significant clinical documentation of health effects.
Probiotic strains are selected using a number of criteria including:
- acid tolerance
- bile tolerance
- ability to provide a health benefit to consumers
- stability in food application to the end of shelf life
The three probiotic strains, offered by Chr. Hansen are:
- BB-12® – the world’s best documented probiotic Bifidobacterium. BB-12® has proven its beneficial health effect in numerous clinical studies within gastrointestinal health and immune function. Clinical studies have demonstrated survival of BB-12® through the gastrointestinal tract and BB-12® has been shown to support a healthy gastrointestinal microbiota.
Furthermore, BB-12® has been shown to improve bowel function, to have a protective effect against diarrhea, and to reduce side effects of antibiotic treatment, such antibiotic-associated diarrhea. In terms of immune function, clinical studies have shown that BB-12® increases the body’s resistance to common respiratory infections as well as reduce the incidence of acute respiratory tract infections.
- L.CASEI 431® is a well-documented probiotic. L. CASEI 431® has proven its beneficial health effect in numerous clinical studies within gastrointestinal health and immune function. Clinical studies on immune function have shown that L. CASEI 431® increases the body’s resistance to common respiratory infections as well as reduce the incidence of acute respiratory tract infections. L. CASEI 431® has shown to have beneficial effect on antibody production, immune signaling, and immune cell activity. In terms of gastrointestinal health, clinical studies have demonstrated that L. CASEI 431® may support a healthy gastrointestinal microbiota and have a protective effect against diarrhea.
- LGG® is the world’s best documented probiotic strain. It has shown its beneficial health effect in numerous clinical studies, primarily within immune function and gastrointestinal health in children and adults. Studies show that LGG® exhibits acid and bile tolerance and has excellent adherence properties to the intestinal mucosa, both important characteristics to increase persistence of the bacteria in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. Clinical studies show that LGG® survives through the GI tract and can help restore and maintain the natural balance of good bacteria in the gut. Furthermore, LGG® demonstrates strong immune interactions and stimulatory effects on immune cells.
These important characteristics of a probiotic strain translate into a number of beneficial health effects as demonstrated in numerous published clinical studies. LGG® has been tested most intensely in relation to immune defense against pathogens in the GI tract in children and antibiotic associated side effects in adults. Moreover, the immune modulatory effects of LGG® have been studied intensely, mainly in relation to respiratory health and beneficial change in response to allergens.
The safety of long term use of LGG® has been demonstrated in several studies. LGG® is considered safe for its intended use as an ingredient in food and dietary supplements to be consumed by a healthy population including infants.
For more information about the products from this category, you can contact the representatives of Chr. Hansen in Bulgaria:
eng. Ivaylo Tonev, firstname.lastname@example.org
eng. Dejan Ristov, email@example.com
firstname.lastname@example.org, tel.: +359 2 938 51 05